Clean Coasts Ambassador & Pro Surfer Easkey Britton Urges Us to Tackle Marine Litter
A call for volunteers to join Ireland’s largest coastal cleanup was made today by Clean Coasts Ambassador Easkey Britton.
Coca-Cola Clean Coasts Week 2015 takes place from May 8th to May 17th and everybody is invited to get involved in protecting and celebrating a beach they love.
A recent United Nation Environment Programme (UNEP) report estimated that 8 million individual litter items enter the marine environment every day. This is certainly evident along Ireland’s coastline. In 2014 Clean Coasts groups removed a staggering 500,000 marine litter items from our beaches. Marine Litter includes a range of materials which have been deliberately discarded, or accidentally lost on shore or at sea. It includes materials that are carried out to sea from land, rivers, drainage, sewerage systems and even by the wind.
Speaking at the launch Annabel FitzGerald, Clean Coasts Manager, An Taisce said: “We are expecting more than 100 beaches to be cleaned by thousands of volunteers during
Speaking at the launch, Erica Roseingrave, Public Affairs & Communications Manager,
In addition to the many beach cleans that will be taking place there are also Coastal Celebration events, including the National #2MinuteBeachClean Day, launch of Love Your Coast photography competition, film screenings, Coastal talks, Beat the Microbead Day and lots more.
While all events are free, some are ticketed; people are encouraged to check out the website for more details.
For a list of Clean Coasts Week Events, please visit: www.cleancoasts.org
Media Contact: Annabel FitzGerald
Clean Coasts Ireland is owned and operated by the Environmental Education Unit of An Taisce – the National Trust for Ireland. It is funded by the Department of the Environment, Community & Local Government,
More Press Releases
- Coca-Cola Ireland awards €130,000 in funding to community projects serving youth across Ireland and Northern Ireland
- Coca-Cola Thank You Fund Celebrates Five Year Anniversary with 2015 Winners Awarded €125,000 in Grants
- On 22nd September Only... Cycle a Public Bike and Win Your Own Bike!
- Joanne O’Riordan Joins Forces with Eoghan McDermott and Pete Snodden to Inspire Youth Leadership
- People Of Cork Invited To Launch Of 'Cork To Galway Charity Cycle' With Legendary Cyclist Sean Kelly