The fourth annual Coca-Cola Thank You Fund recently drew to a close, rewarding financial grants to some of the country’s most inspiring community sports and activity projects.
The programme´s five winners each received a €25,000 grant to kick-start their ideas to get the country moving. From promoting kayaking among youngsters, to organising a 5K training plan and setting up a outdoor fitness facilities (a trim trail), these innovative projects are all promoting active lifestyles in local communities.
The Coca-Cola Thank You Fund 2014 winners are:
- Canoeing Ireland – new kayak instructors will be trained, helping to introduce more young people to the sport.
- Killarney Rugby Football Club – the county of Kerry will be equipped with its first trim trail for community exercise.
- Omagh Wheelers Cycling Club – a programme will be set up to get more families cycling.
- Spraoi agus Spórt Family Centre Limited – five-kilometre running training will be offered over a 10-week period.
- Swim Ireland – the Swim for a Mile programme will be expanded, helping get more people swimming at their local pools.
Since its launch in 2011, the Coca-Cola Thank You Fund has granted €500,000 to voluntary and non-profit organisations in Ireland and Northern Ireland. And as a result, the awarded projects have seen approximately 27,000 people become involved in sports and activity programmes.
Swim for a Mile
One of the 2014 Thank You Fund winners – Swim Ireland –recently announced its new programme to encourage people of all fitness levels to get in the water and build their swimming skills. Following the success of last year’s ‘Swim for a Mile’ challenge, the national governing body of swimming is back with an even bigger and better event this year.
The 2013 programme saw swimming enthusiasts across Ireland hit their local pools to take on the one-mile challenge. Following a 12-week training programme set up by Swim Ireland, more than 1,000 participants took the plunge.
Swim Ireland can now look forward to another year of funding from Coca-Cola to help grow its programme, which will help it reach more participants and expand its swimming locations. To date, more than 74 pools across the country have signed-up to offer free coaching. “Swim for a Mile has been a great programme for the Coca-Cola Thank You Fund to support and we are very pleased to help Swim Ireland expand its reach for another year,” says Jon Woods, General Manager, Coca-Cola GB and Ireland. “I would like to congratulate all the winners and thank them for their ongoing support and commitment to make our communities healthier and more active.”
- Photos: Coca-Cola Celebrates Start of Special Olympics World Winter Games 2017
- How our Coca-Cola Thank You Fund has made a big difference to a youth service in Tipperary
- Rugby star Tommy Bowe heads up Coca-Cola's Designated Driver road safety campaign this Christmas
- Infographic: Coca-Cola's Designated Driver campaign reveals nation's favourite festive traditions
- Behind the scenes of the Rio 2016 Olympic Torch Relay