Coca‑Cola Ireland today announced that it will be unifying the Coca‑Cola™ portfolio of products – including Coca‑Cola, Diet Coke, Coca‑Cola Zero and Coca‑Cola Life – under a new “one brand” strategy to promote the full choice of Coca‑Cola variants.
Over the years, as consumer taste, preference and lifestyles have changed, Coca‑Cola has innovated to develop and launch new brands, with distinct and separate identities. These brands have provided people with a greater choice in terms of flavour, sugar and caffeine content, while still providing the great Coke taste they enjoy.
However, recent research shows that not all Irish consumers fully understand the choice offered within the Coca‑Cola trademark and the distinct benefits of each brand. For example, six out of 10 people do not realise that Diet Coke and Coca‑Cola Zero are no sugar, no calorie drinks.
Today’s announcement will see those brands integrated with Coca‑Cola and Coca‑Cola Life under one brand – Coca‑Cola. Under this new approach, the enduring appeal of Coca‑Cola will be extended across all four Coca‑Cola variants. At the same time, new pack designs will emphasise the distinctive benefits of each Coca‑Cola product, making choice clearer and easier for consumers.
Under the “one-brand” marketing strategy, which Coca‑Cola Ireland is launching in May:
- Coca‑Cola advertising will feature the full range of Coca‑Cola variants and so communicate to consumers the full choice available to them.
- Lower and no sugar and calorie Coca‑Cola variants will now be included in the final frames of all Coca‑Cola television advertising.
- This will more than double the media investment in the no sugar and no calorie variants of Coca‑Cola
- The branding on every Coca‑Cola can and bottle, whether sweetened by sugar or by low-calorie sweeteners, whether caffeinated or non-caffeinated, cherry or vanilla flavoured, will be in the same style, with different colours clearly distinguishing each variant.
- On pack communications will include clearer descriptors to highlight the benefits of each Coca‑Cola - for example, “zero sugar, zero calories”.
- Using this new strategy Coca‑Cola will – for the first time – use its sponsorship of a major international sporting event - Rugby World Cup 2015 – to promote all four variants of Coca‑Cola and to ‘hero’ Coca‑Cola Zero
This is a significant change for Coca‑Cola Ireland, which for the first time is putting “choice” at the core of its marketing strategy. The new approach will place much more focus on the distinct characteristics of each Coca‑Cola, raise awareness of the choice available and so help people choose the right Coke for them and their families. The new packaging will appear on shelves in Ireland between now and May.
Announcing the new marketing strategy, Jon Woods, General Manager of Coca‑Cola Great Britain & Ireland, said:
“Coca‑Cola is one of the best-loved and most iconic brands in the world. With our new ‘one brand’ approach, we are uniting four distinct brands under the umbrella of Coca‑Cola – which remains our best loved brand. We believe our no and lower sugar variants will benefit from this closer association with Coca‑Cola and that featuring all variants in our advertising will make clear to more consumers the full choice we offer them. By focusing on building one brand and extending the appeal of the original Coca‑Cola across our lower and no sugar variants we believe we can drive sustainable growth for our business in Ireland in the years ahead”.
The new strategy further supports Coca‑Cola’s commitment to help contribute to healthier and happier communities, building on wider actions already taken in Ireland. To date, Coca‑Cola has granted €500k to local community and non-profit groups to help support active lifestyle initiatives. In 2014 five organisations were given grants of €25k to support innovative programmes that are helping to get more people, more active, move often. In addition it is partnering with the National Transport Authority and the City Councils in Dublin, Cork, Galway and Limerick to support the Coca‑Cola Zero bikes in each of those cities – making cycling accessible to people in their everyday lives. Coca‑Cola also broadened the range of products available in Ireland earlier this year through the launch of Coca‑Cola Life – a cola with a third less sugar and a third fewer calories than Coca‑Cola.
About The Coca‑Cola Company
The Coca‑Cola Company (NYSE: KO) is a total beverage company, offering over 500 brands in more than 200 countries and territories. Led by Coca‑Cola, one of the world's most valuable and recognizable brands, our Company's portfolio features 17 billion-dollar brands including Coca‑Cola Light, Fanta, Sprite, Coca‑Cola Zero, vitaminwater, Powerade, Minute Maid, Simply, Georgia and Del Valle. Globally, we are the No. 1 provider of sparkling beverages, ready-to-drink coffees, and juices and juice drinks. With an enduring commitment to building sustainable communities, our Company is focused on initiatives that reduce our environmental footprint, support active, healthy living, create a safe, inclusive work environment for our associates, and enhance the economic development of the communities where we operate. Together with our bottling partners, we rank among the world's top 10 private employers with more than 700,000 system associates. For more information, visit Coca‑Cola Journey at www.coca-colacompany.com, follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/CocaColaCo, visit our blog, Coca‑Cola Unbottled, at www.coca-colablog.com or find us on LinkedIn at www.linkedin.com/company/the-coca-cola-company.
 Reduction by one third of the calories than most full sugared colas on the island of Ireland, due to 37% sugar reduction, thanks to the presence of stevia extract
More Press Releases
- Coca-Cola Launches Choose Happiness Campaign
- Coca-Cola Zero Bikes Scheme Completed in Cork
- Coca Cola Zero Bikes Coming To Galway Cork Limerick
- Coca-Cola Zero Sugar launches in Ireland offering consumers a new no sugar option
- Diet Coke unveils limited-edition can designs to celebrate new on-pack promotion