We’ve been working with the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) on environmental issues since 2007. It has helped us to set some ambitious environmental goals to be reached by 2020.
1. Improve water efficiency by 25 per cent (from a 2010 baseline)
Water is the main ingredient in our products and it’s an important part of our manufacturing process. From 2004 to 2012 we improved the efficiency of our water usage by 21.4 per cent – and we want to go even further.
2. Look after freshwater systems
Our joint freshwater conservation project covers 11 regions across six continents.
3. Reduce carbon emissions by 25 per cent
We’re working to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by a quarter from a 2010 baseline. That’s across all areas of our production chain, from ingredient sourcing to refrigeration.
4. Responsibly source material for PlantBottle™ packaging
We’ll keep assessing the suitability of plant sources for our packaging. We’re aiming to use up to 30 per cent plant-based materials in plastic bottles by 2020.
5. Source ingredients sustainably
We have established a set of guiding principles for sustainable farming, and now we’re working with the WWF to make sure those guidelines are implemented across the world – for sourcing sugarcane, sugar beet, palm oil, paper fibre, tea, coffee and oranges.
On top of our joint targets with WWF, we’ve also established two additional goals:
6. Replenish 100 per cent of the water we use
After using water for manufacturing, we will return it, treated, to the environment. To replenish the water we use in our drinks, we will continue our community water projects in more than 100 countries. So far, we’ve replenished an estimated 52 per cent of the water we use every year through 468 projects.
7. Recover 75 per cent of bottles and cans in developed markets
We will work with local organisations and the drinks industry to increase recycling.
International Women's Day: How
Coca-Colais Helping to Empower 5 Million Women Worldwide
Muhtar Kent reflects on his
Coca-Colajourney and legacy as company’s 15th chief executive
- Highlights from Clean Coasts Week 2016
- How the Coca-Cola Thank You Fund is helping make a big impact with young people in County Donegal
Happy Fathers’ Day! Meet some of the wonderful dads who work at
Coca-ColaGreat Britain and Ireland